Today’s Creation: Peanut Butter Blossoms
This is the one cookie that everyone in my immediate family loves. Somewhere around this house, I have a video from years ago when I was baking with my nieces and we were making these peanut butter blossoms, with a Mariah Carey cd playing in the background. It’s a great memory of baking with them. If I ever come across it, I probably should try to transfer it to a cd to save it from videotape deterioration.
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup peanut butter
3 cups flour
pinch of salt
bag of Hershey kisses
1.Unwrap 48-60 Hershey kisses and set aside in a bowl. The size of your cookies determines how many your batch can make.
2. Pre-heat over to 375 degrees
3. Cream together the butter, vanilla, white sugar and brown sugar.
4. Add eggs and beat well.
5. Stir in peanut butter.
6. Mix in the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and salt).
7. Scoop using a small cookie scooper onto a aluminum foil-covered cookie sheet, 12 cookies will fit if spaced evenly.
8. Bake for 6 1/2 to 7 minutes. I used to do 7 minutes when I had an electric oven but now that I have a gas oven, they were burnt at 7 minutes, so I now take them out at 6 1/2 minutes. Peanut butter burns quickly so you have to keep an eye on these cookies to keep from ruining them.
9. Place a Hershey kiss on top of each cookie immediately after removing cookies from the oven. Let cookies cool a few minutes before removing. Once the Hershey kiss is no longer ‘melty’, store in a covered airtight container. (The picture below was hand delivered immediately to someone, so no need to store them.)
Yield: About 5 dozen cookies